Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Corpse Agrees

Even though I’m behind on the blogosphere, I’ve still been sharing art on Patreon regularly. My two most recent pieces showcase Spencer’s pre-vampire life in the 1950s. (Patrons can see them here and here.) It’ll probably be days, if not weeks, before I can start posting those here on this blog.

But don’t worry, I still have other art to share today! This one is based on a scene I hope to include in the horror comic I’m developing. (This scene could very easily get scrapped, though, since muses are fickle that way.) It features Jay, his older sister Tess, and the undead little snot known as Spencer…

Click here to see a high-res version on Patreon!

Tess is very anti-vampire, so—as you can imagine—it’s upsetting whenever Jay brings that thing into their home. (She refuses to call Spencer by his actual name.) This dredges up old arguments between her and Jay. Jay ropes Spencer into it by asking if he agrees with him on one particular issue. Spencer doesn’t, and even goes on to say that he should listen to his sister.

Jay’s peeved that Spencer didn’t take his side. Tess is relieved at first, since this might help knock some sense into her brother, but then she remembers exactly who agreed with her, leading to the artwork above.

If it weren’t for that whole vampire thing, Spencer and Tess would probably become the best of friends, since they’re pretty in sync at times. And yeah, that unicorn mug is Jay’s. Tess would kill him if he let Spencer drink blood from one of hers!

16 comments:

  1. Funny scene. Hope you keep it.
    Bet there's a lot of conflict in that situation you could write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely! I actually left out quite a few details in this post, in order to avoid spoilers...

      Delete
  2. This looks like a very awesome concept. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It'll probably be a little while yet before I can premiere the actual comic, but I'll be sharing lots of concept art for it in the meantime!

      Delete
  3. Hilarious! I love how much story is already in that one image. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's actually lots more I could've shared about this image, but I'm keeping those details quiet for now, to avoid spoilers!

      Delete
  4. I like how she calls him "the corpse" in this image. And a vampire drinking out of an unicorn mug--priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have fun drawing in silly little details like that... :P

      Delete
  5. Tess's comment and depiction are perfect! I can feel her pain. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably experiences a lot of that whenever Spencer and Jay are around...LOL.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! At first, it was going to be a regular, ol' mug, but then I decided to have some fun with it... :P

      Delete
  7. Love Tess's comment and the fact that she will only call Spencer "the corpse." I didn't notice the mug until reading the comments so of course I had to immediately go look. Love it! :D
    I hope you keep this scene. It's funny and makes me want more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Even though I really enjoy playing this scene out in my head, it might still get cut once I can work on the actual comic. I've had to cut a lot of fun things from Echo Effect due to pacing, and sometimes even logic, after all, so...we'll see!

      Delete
  8. Love the backstory behind this, and the way she calls Spencer "the corpse." The mug is a nice touch, too.
    :)
    Your artwork is always awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Tyrean! Glad you enjoyed it... :)

      Delete