Friday, April 15, 2016

*waves*

It took over two weeks, but I finally have a new laptop! I’m very picky when it comes to computers, and feel I’ve earned the right to be, since I work on them extensively as an artist. If I don’t feel comfortable with one, that’ll only hinder my productivity…hence the long hiatus here. I refused to drain my savings on a laptop that didn’t meet most of my needs.

One of the needs I desperately had to have, but could almost never find? A CD/DVD drive. My very old—but very trusty—Photoshop program installs via a CD. Needless to say, a laptop lacking one of these drives is horrifying to me. Sure, I could’ve purchased an external one, or splurged on a downloadable art program, but that’s money I can’t spare after having my laptop and TV die in a single month. Plus, if I did download a new art program, it’d have to be something other than Photoshop, since they’re subscription-only now, last I heard. (Photoshop, I love you, but not enough to spend $120 or more a year on you.) In other words, I’d have to trash all the Photoshop files I was in the middle of inking/coloring and start anew.

Luckily, this didn’t become my reality, since I finally found a laptop that not only had a CD/DVD drive, but most of my other needs, too! And it was on sale! The universe likes to laugh at me, though, so the store I found it in? Completely sold out of it. They were able to order one for me…but again, the universe likes to laugh at me, so they misspelled my address in the process. I did not notice this till I checked my email on someone else’s computer. I contacted customer service to fix it, and while they were able to, they informed me this might cause the laptop to arrive a few days later than had been quoted in-store. I never received an email about it shipping, much less any tracking info, so this seemed to be the case. Yesterday, though—the day I was originally told it would come—my new laptop arrived out of the blue, late into the evening, finally ending this headachy process to replace my dead one.

(I hope it’s over, at least. You never know what the universe might do next for a laugh, after all!)

I’m still adjusting to the quirks of this laptop, as well as getting all my files on here, so it might take me a while to catch up with everyone. I’m going to do my best to get back into the swing of things, though!

20 comments:

  1. Glad you found the laptop you wanted! You're right, so many don't have a CD Rom anymore. If you're used to using PhotoShop, why switch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably branch out and try a new art program eventually, but the version of Photoshop I own has been reliable for a decade, so I don't have to quite yet!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you're back, and that you found a laptop that met most of your needs, and was on sale! (Sorry about all the trouble you had to go through to get it to you, though. It's never easy, is it?)

    And I totally get wanted to stick with the art program you know. I am going to keep my laptop alive just as long as I can so I can avoid changing my word processing program. It's by subscription now, too, and I hate that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, definitely never easy! And wow, had no idea word processing programs had become subscription-based now, too. Ack!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you're back and that you found the laptop you need! We've noticed that switch from CD to non-CD, too.
    I understand wanting to stick with the program you know. It's hard to switch programs, even updated versions of Word. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, switching programs can be quite an adjustment, for sure! If it's not broken or hopelessly out-of-date, I tend to stick with what I already have. I was more resistant about this, though, due to money and the fact that I wouldn't be able to open Photoshop files in non-Photoshop programs. Will only consider switching in the future when I don't have any art in progress on my computer, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Yay for a new laptop! So glad you're back. :) I use an old version of Photoshop too. I know there's newer ones, but I'm quite fine with the old one. Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even though they're probably outdated in ways I'm unaware of, the old Photoshop programs hold up really well. It's nice not needing to buy a new product of this sort constantly!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! You've had a time! Glad it's arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I never imagined things would get this headachy when shopping for a laptop!

      Delete
  6. Your laptop and your TV died in one month? Yikes! That's such bad luck. My water heater and vacuum died in one week, but I can live without them for a while, not without a laptop. I'm so glad you found a suitable one and got it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah, they did. At least I had some warning signs when it comes to the TV. My laptop, however, simply died out of the blue! March was no fun, needless to say. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Yaaay! Welcome back Heather! Oooh I hate waiting for thigns I paid for, especially if its something I really need. Glad you're connected now! I managed to buy photoshop cs5 when it was cheap during my student days. I've also been trying out the free art program Krita, which is pretty okay! It has good brushtracking and I can save my files as PSD (and it can open PSD pretty well too) For clean linework I still prefer Paint tool sai instead of Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a relief to be back, finally. :) And oh, it's nice to know that Krita can open up PSD files, should the worst ever happen! And I'll have to keep Paint Tool Sai in mind whenever I want to branch out with a new art program. (And can actually afford one, LOL.) I've seen it rec'd before, but have no experience with it myself!

      Delete
  8. Yay, so good to have you back! And I hear you about the CD drive, same problem here, old PS but a good one, I don't want to change, hehehe, so I totally understand. :-) Glad to have you back in the blogoshpere again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I've been away from the blogosphere for so long, I can't help but feel hopelessly behind. And LOL, glad I'm not the only one clinging to an old Photoshop program!

      Delete