Sunday, September 6, 2015

Webcomic Updates: LET’S BREAK NICHOLAS!

Hey, look, Echo Effect is back, and with some trivia, too! Hopefully I'll be able to keep updates somewhat consistent this month. We're getting really close to a game-changing arc, so I'd hate for another hiatus to stall that...

#197 (Website / Blogspot)

  • This strip wasn’t supposed to exist! I drew it at the last minute, since I wanted to see more of Nicholas’ grandmother. (Nettie is the only family Nicholas has ever known, other than his dead dad, so yeah, finding ways to include her is important to me.)
  •  I really, really hate drawing cars. See how those panels are cut off on the sides, and blackened out a bit? I could lie and say that was done for effect, but no, I just wanted to sneakily avoid drawing car stuff.
  • Speaking of cars…Nettie’s is based on the one my family had growing up. In other words, the air conditioner doesn’t work, and the windows are permanently stuck.
  • Even though I really hate drawing cars, I really love drawing Nicholas in tears, soooo…everything balances out. LOL. (Funnily enough, Sad Nicholas isn’t my favorite version of Nicholas. Angry Nicholas is. You guys will be seeing a lot more of him after strip #200!)

#198 (Website / Blogspot)

  •  Even though Coco claims Nicholas is different now…he honestly really isn’t. He’s always been this insecure, but now that his looks—the one thing he did have confidence in—have been taken away, he’s simply no longer hiding it. This hasn’t dawned on Nicholas till now, though. (He came close here, but not quite.) The fact that he’s struggled with this all his life has blinded him from noticing how little he’s masking it anymore. I like to hope anyone who re-reads the first volume will realize exactly how insecure he’s been all along, since most people seem to think this didn’t start till volume two!

33 comments:

  1. I wait for the moment that you will cut Nicholas some slack! You just have to! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I've barely even started torturing him yet! >:)

      Delete
    2. I'll pretend that I didn't read that! Haha 😉

      Delete
  2. If cars aren't your thing, then that's a clever way to get around them.
    Seen you around and just stopping by to say hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Alex! I've been trying to get better at drawing cars, but until something results from that...I have no choice but to find ways to work around it. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see angry Nicholas! You're clever about what you did with the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angry Nicholas is awesome. You'll be seeing him quite a few times in the last half of volume two! ;)

      Delete
  4. Cars are the least of my problems. I wish I could draw at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wish I knew how to draw as well as many of the artists I've seen online. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I think that Nicholas and Coco have both been insecure all along, just in very different ways. I hope for happy endings always, but if it takes a while, I get that, and if it's only a possibility of a better horizon, that works, too. Just please don't kill him off, okay. :) (but if you do, I get that, too, really, as an author who killed off a character that has turned out to be a favorite among readers - sometimes, we have to kill those darlings)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Coco definitely has her fair share of insecurities, too. I've always viewed her and Nicholas as two sides of the same coin, in that regard...

      Since Echo Effect was inspired by a Greek tragedy, things will get pretty dark, especially in volume three. I obviously can't go into detail about that darkness yet, but hopefully people won't hate me too much for it, LOL.

      Delete
  6. I can see how Nicholas has been insecure, but with good looks, he's much better at masking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, it was much easier for Nicholas to blind people to his insecurities back when he could charm them with his pretty boy looks! XD

      Delete
  7. Ooh! Okay, I'm off to catch up. I love it when characters wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed these bits of trivia. Feel free to share more! I was among the people who thought Nicholas changed a lot, but it makes sense that he was always somewhat like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping his insecurities in volume one are more obvious during a re-read. There's a good chance, though, that I'm only aware of it since I know so much about Nicholas and his past. It's not really possible to show everything in the actual webcomic!

      Delete
  9. Sweet! I don't mind drawing cars, it's the people I can't get right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, and crazy-me actually thinks people are the most fun to draw... XD

      Delete
  10. Nice tidbits! You draw cars better than I do. I can't draw anything, unless it's a stick figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily link you to other webcomic artists who can draw cars 1000x better than me. LOL.

      Delete
  11. I agree with Athina, you need to cut Nicholas some slack... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been mean to him yet, though! (For real. Just wait until you see the end of volume two and...well, all of volume three. LOL.)

      Delete
  12. I love this comic, keep 'em coming Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've been enjoying it! I managed to post strip #199 the other day, and strip #200 should be up within a week... :)

      Delete
  13. He's such an emotional boy! Glad to see the strip is back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, he kind of wears his heart on his sleeve... :P

      Delete
  14. You have such a great sense of humor! And we should all know our strengths and weaknesses so we know what to highlight in our work and what to avoid. Very clever with the "sneaky" way to hide the car stuff! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, it's like...I'm trying to get better with practice, but I probably won't feel decent at car stuff for years, soooo...sneaky I must be. XD

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness, angry Nicholas should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to hope so! Angry Nicholas will be pretty fun for me to draw, at the very least... ;)

      Delete