Hey, look, Echo Effect is back, and with some trivia, too! Hopefully I'll be able to keep updates somewhat consistent this month. We're getting really close to a game-changing arc, so I'd hate for another hiatus to stall that...
- This strip wasn’t supposed to exist! I drew it at the last minute, since I wanted to see more of Nicholas’ grandmother. (Nettie is the only family Nicholas has ever known, other than his dead dad, so yeah, finding ways to include her is important to me.)
- I really, really hate drawing cars. See how those panels are cut off on the sides, and blackened out a bit? I could lie and say that was done for effect, but no, I just wanted to sneakily avoid drawing car stuff.
- Speaking of cars…Nettie’s is based on the one my family had growing up. In other words, the air conditioner doesn’t work, and the windows are permanently stuck.
- Even though I really hate drawing cars, I really love drawing Nicholas in tears, soooo…everything balances out. LOL. (Funnily enough, Sad Nicholas isn’t my favorite version of Nicholas. Angry Nicholas is. You guys will be seeing a lot more of him after strip #200!)
- Even though Coco claims Nicholas is different now…he honestly really isn’t. He’s always been this insecure, but now that his looks—the one thing he did have confidence in—have been taken away, he’s simply no longer hiding it. This hasn’t dawned on Nicholas till now, though. (He came close here, but not quite.) The fact that he’s struggled with this all his life has blinded him from noticing how little he’s masking it anymore. I like to hope anyone who re-reads the first volume will realize exactly how insecure he’s been all along, since most people seem to think this didn’t start till volume two!