Friday, August 14, 2015

Webcomic Updates!

Echo Effect is back! It returned in July, actually. I’ve done a poor job of promoting the new strips here, so I’m going to try getting back into the habit of that. I’ll be sharing some trivia as I do, too, to make this more interesting for longtime fans…

#193 (Website / Blogspot)

  • This outfit of Coco’s was also seen in strips #52-65. (I like to have my characters re-wear outfits a lot. Helps make the story feel more real.)
  • Stubborn me inked this with a computer mouse, since my Micron pens are too stupid to have this wondrous thing called an “undo” button.

#194 (Website / Blogspot)

  • I didn’t know what kind of dessert Nicholas made until I was in the middle of typing up the text in Photoshop. (Shortbread was one of the contenders.)
  • Thanks to Corona Zschüsschen, this was the first strip I inked completely with a drawing tablet!

#195 (Website / Blogspot)

  • Nicholas is a lefty, so shaking hands with Coco’s father right-handedly feels unnatural to him. (As if he needs more reasons for awkwardness, am I right?)
  • Coco’s father was supposed to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt, but I never seem able to draw that properly. (He was supposed to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt in strips #181-184, too.)

#196 (Website / Blogspot)

  • This is the first time we see all of Coco’s family together in a single strip. (We’ve come close in the past, but those strips have always been one character short.)
  • In case anyone’s wondering what Coco’s dad is doing…he’s programming a meal bolus for Tad with his insulin pump. (Tad’s a type-1 diabetic.)
  • This strip was supposed to end with Nicholas shoving food into his mouth to avoid answering the question. For some reason, though, I couldn’t draw that properly. I had no choice but to sketch something else, and I didn’t even know what Nicholas was saying till afterwards. (I still prefer the original ending.)
  • I was really tempted to trash this strip and have #197 take its place, since the artwork is so cringe-worthy to me. But #197 will conclude the family dinner scene, so I left #196 in to keep the pacing from being too speedy.

***

Anyone looking forward to more Echo Effect? Things are going to get epic after strip #200, I promise...

18 comments:

  1. I love reading all these little tidbits! And YEAH! I'm looking forward to more Echo Effect. :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! Glad you enjoyed 'em... :)

      Delete
  2. All the family together! And Nicholas! Things are getting serious!!:P

    I look forward for more Echo Effect, Heather and especially about those epic things you promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might regret looking forward to those epic things. LOL. ;)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing the whole family together and how awkward Nicholas looks. I mean, I feel bad for him, but I have had so many times in my life when I felt that same need to escape (although not for the same reasons). Scars create some real life embarrassing moments, and not everyone is as kindly oblivious to them as Coco's family seems to be in this moment.
    I'm looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Tyrean! Nicholas is really lucky to have a girlfriend with a laid-back family, for sure... :)

      Delete
  4. Poor Nicholas - I totally get the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkwardness is far too relatable for most people, I think! ;)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed learning the behind the scenes tidbits about the Echo Effect. I look forward to every strip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me wish all strips came with Fun Facts! This would make for awesome "bonus" material in the printed version. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to share trivia for future strips here on this blog, as long as it doesn't become too overwhelming for me!

      Delete
  7. I love all the trivia info! No "undo" on the Micro pens?! Ack! I so a lot of photoshop work on GIMP and I screw things up all the time. I'd be in big trouble without an "undo" button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "undo" button is such a huge lifesaver, for sure!

      Delete
  8. This looks more complete all together and learning about Coco's family has been fun. Definitely more depth to the story. Sounds like this has been a huge learning curve piecing everything together. I need to check back for those "epic" developments to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! While I try to make the strips somewhat standalone, they're still very much connected, so I like to hope they have a good flow whenever read altogether. And LOL, everyone's probably going to chase me with pitchforks once some of the epic stuff happens... XD

      Delete
  9. Are there other lefties who find shaking hands with the right weird? Because I thought everyone was taught to shake with the right hand. Feels natural to this lefty. o/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shake left-handedly. I don't remember ever being taught to how to shake hands, so it's what comes naturally to me. Even though I'll try to force myself to use my right, I still forget a lot, since it isn't instinct, LOL. So, because it's weird for me, I made it weird for Nicholas. (He's a lot better at remembering to use his right, though, since he's such a people-pleaser!)

      Delete