Thursday, August 13, 2015

Left is Right

Apparently, it’s Left-Handers Day. Did you all know that Nicholas from Echo Effect is left-handed? ‘Cause he is! It’s easy to find proof in the webcomic itself, if you browse long enough. You can even see he’s left-handed in the very first picture I completed of him back in 2012. I love including left-handed characters in my work, since…well, I’m left-handed, too. Sort of.

You see, I was born a lefty. But my kindergarten teacher thought that was wrong, so she’d force me to write with my right. She first noticed I was left-handed when our class was practicing the letter M. Everyone was allowed to go out and play after the assignment was over, except for me. She wanted me to redo the assignment. So, that’s what I started to do…with my left hand, of course. She immediately ripped the pencil from my hand and shoved it into my right. I wasn’t allowed to leave until I did it the “correct” way. Right-handedness wasn’t natural for me, so yeah, that was painful.

The universe was just as determined to make me right-handed, apparently, ‘cause in first grade, I broke my left wrist. The clunky cast I had to wear for that made it impossible for me to write or draw with my dominant hand. I’ve been a righty for those two things ever since.

Oddly enough, though, I still seem to be a lefty for most everything else. I can’t help but wonder if my artwork and overall penmanship would look nicer if I were able to do those as a lefty, too, since both are pretty ugly to this day. I occasionally practice doing both with my left, so who knows, maybe one day I can convert back to my preferred hand for those things.

Long story short…if any of you ever ask me what my dominant hand is, I’ll have no freakin’ idea how to answer. Haha.

6 comments:

  1. While it's crazy that some teacher thought she knew what was best for you, it's kind of neat that you can use both hands in more ways than the average person. I really wonder if eventually you could convert back to being the lefty you were meant to be even with writing and drawing. It'd be interesting to test. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do practice sometimes, but it can be frustrating, needless to say. LOL.

      Delete
  2. It's pretty barbaric what you teacher did D: they did the same thing with my dad when he was young, he's still shakey when he writes. Things are extremely frustrating and wobbly for me if I try stuff with left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now that I'm older and can fully realize what my teacher was up to, it's like...wow. :/

      That sucks how this happened to your dad, too. People really need to stop being biased against lefties!

      Delete
  3. What your teacher did is infuriating!!!
    I'm hopeful that eventually you will become ambidextrous. That sounds like a better ending to your story.
    Gah! I feel like smacking that teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's like, I never questioned my teacher at the time, since I was so young, but it had still been off-putting. Now that I'm older, I realize how messed up it was. You hear about this kind of thing happening to older generations, but kids in the 90s? Eeesh.

      Delete