Monday, June 22, 2015

Guest Post: Cherie Reich’s 5 Favorite Horror Movies

I'm a huge horror movie fan, sonaturallyI couldn't resist letting Cherie Reich stop by to share her favorites! Find out what they are in the guest post below...

Cherie Reich’s 5 Favorite Horror Movies

1. Signs – It made too much sense. I still keep a glass of water nearby, just in case.

2. Halloween (John Carpenter’s) – I have to give Michael Myers some love.

3. Friday the 13th – I’m late to this series since I didn’t watch the first one until last year, but there’s something classic about teens, a lake, and a murderer on the loose. And if you’re a Psych fan, then I highly recommend watching the episode “Tuesday the 17th.”

4. Jaws – Duuun dun… duuun dun. You better get out of the water. I must admit this movie made me fascinated by sharks and other creatures of the deep. Did you know we know more about space than we do about our own oceans? Who knows what is out there waiting to breach the surface?

5. Scream – It may be a bit cheesy and a parody of horror movies, but I love this series.

What’s your favorite horror movie?

***

A monster hunts us. After hibernating for a decade, it’s ravenous. We long to stop this nightmare, but the end of the road is far. There is no waking up once a legend sets its sights on you.

Disappearances every ten or so years make little impact on the small town of New Haven, Virginia. Hikers get lost. Hunters lose the trail. Even when a body is discovered, the inhabitants’ memories last about as long as the newspaper articles.

No one connects the cases. No one notices the disappearances go back beyond Civil War times. No one believes a legendary monster roams the forests in Southwestern Virginia.

I don’t either until the truck breaks down on an old mountain trail. Cell phones won’t work in this neck of the woods. It’s amazing how much a person can see by starlight alone. So what if we can’t feel our fingers or toes as we hike toward the main road. How many more miles left to go?

Crrraaack!

Hear that noise?



Purchase Once upon a Nightmare: A Collection by Cherie Reich at Amazon. From June 22-28, the collection is only $0.99!

Cherie Reich is a speculative fiction author and library assistant living in Virginia. Visit her website and blog for more information.

27 comments:

  1. The only one of these movies that I've seen is Scream. I watched it one night with some guests at a hotel where I used to work. They went to bed afterward, and I sat alone at the front desk the rest of the night...and boy, did I not want to answer the phone.

    (But, yeah, I did love that Psych episode!)

    Congrats, Cherie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! To be honest, I hate answering the phone, but I prefer it than calling people. That's even worse. Thanks, M.J.!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for hosting me, Heather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than happy to have you on my blog, Cherie! :)

      Delete
  3. Scream is fun and Jaws is so classic. Love Jaws. Psycho is my ultimate favorite. The original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psycho is a good one too. Thanks for stopping by, Mary!

      Delete
  4. I like Signs and Scream a lot, too. Mostly, the horror I watch is funny-horror, though (Shawn of the Dead, for example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny horror is a lot of fun. I also really enjoy cheesy horror.

      Delete
  5. Scream might be cheesy, but it is a classic horror flick. :) I use to love the B horror flicks and Nightmare on Elm Street, but these days, I like more subtle horror. That kind that strangles you with suspense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the more subtle stuff, but sometimes you want the slasher flicks or the cheesy kind.

      Delete
  6. I've seen all of those, but not sure about Scream. OMGoodness, I love the cover of your book, Cherie! So awesome and it sounds awesome. :) Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly! Amygdala Designs created the cover art (a pre-made).

      Delete
  7. Jaws terrified me as a kid - I watched without parental permission so I added watching tv in a creepy basement corner on a sunny summer morning with big teeth. Plus, I had the added tension of knowing that my parents didn't approve - I never got punished because they figured I had scared myself badly that I had punished myself.
    And, Signs, I really liked that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! It was so much fun to watch things without parental permission. I had my five-year-old sister watch John Carpenter's Vampires. She actually loved it and pretended to be a vampire for days afterwards. It was cute, although I don't think my parents really approved.

      Delete
  8. Okay, I've seen Jaws and Scream. Not sure about Halloween, at least the first one. I'm not big into horror flicks, but my partner is, so I've been seeing more of them. It's easier for me to read horror than to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I'm the opposite. I laugh more at horror films (except Signs, which freaked me out), but horror books can really seep into my subconscious. Yet I still love horror stuff. I feel like it prepares me for whatever can happen. :)

      Delete
  9. Hey, I read Once Upon A Nightmare. I hope I reviewed it... My favorite horror movies are ones that don't take themselves too seriously like House 2, or some Doctor Who episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one reason I love the Scream movies. They're not meant to be taken seriously. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm not much of a horror film watcher at all. I saw jaws as a child, in 3-D. Can we say nightmares?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Cherie and I love those movies too. Wishing her much success with her new release - I read it and it's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great collection and I hope Cherie does really well with it. These are all good picks. I think Aliens is my favourite horror.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really good list. I'm not a horror movie fan. They give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cherie is amazing, but horror is too scary and gory for me - Jaws was pretty fab tho! yay for Cherie!

    And hope you're doing well, too, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather! I didn't realize you'd posted some of your comic again. Catching up now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah, I managed to sneak in a few around the end of July. I still have a lot of catching up to do, though! Hope you enjoyed them...

      Delete