Friday, March 13, 2015

Guest Post: We're All Fans by Shelley Sly

I have the honor of sharing a guest post from author Shelley Sly today, to help celebrate her latest release, One Hundred Thirty Stars. Enjoy!

We're All Fans

We’re all fans of something or someone. There’s a good chance that as you’re reading this, you’re thinking about something in particular that you absolutely love, enjoy, or admire.

I’m a total nerd about the things I’m into. I love video games (mostly RPGs, but I also love anything with cute animals in it.) I somehow became a big fan of Canadian indie music, despite the fact that I’m American. I also adore anything Disney, I’m fascinated with both Star Trek and Star Wars, and I love reading children’s books of all kinds.

As a writer, I try to remember that my characters are fans, too. And they’re not always fans of the same things that I’m into. My latest book features a character who is obsessed with video games—which is easy for me to relate to—but the other main character is really, really into math. And math and I aren’t exactly best buds. One of these days, I might even write a character who’s a total sports fan, which is something I definitely can’t relate to.

For those of you who create your own characters, what are they into? If they were the #1 fan of anything in the world, what would that thing be?

What are you a fan of?


Shelley Sly lives in the Washington, D.C. metro area with her husband and their chocolate lab mix. She writes middle grade novels about friendship, family, and figuring out where you fit in. Shelley is the author of WISHING FOR WASHINGTON, and her brand new release, ONE HUNDRED THIRTY STARS. You can find her online at www.shelleysly.com.

23 comments:

  1. Fun post :) I'm a big Harry Potter nerd ... and Disney. Even though I'm way too old for either of those things. I guess some things just don't fade with time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both Harry Potter and Disney, too! I love Disney World, and can't wait to go to the Harry Potter theme park whenever my next visit will be. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Psych, Grimm, and many other things. It's interesting to think of what our characters would be a fan of. Congrats, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! (I absolutely love the jokes on Psych, especially the nicknames that Shawn would give Gus.)

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of Avatar, Disney, and Star Wars (but not mixed together). Like Cherie, I'm a fan of many other things, too. :)
    My characters - oddly enough, Clara is a fan of music, but I don't get into that much in the books because she's also a fan of weapons and that's what gets expressed more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about your character Clara. It's always good to know about our characters' interests, even if we don't have time to talk much about them within the book.

      Delete
  4. I've never thought about my characters being fans of anything before - probably because they're too busy running for their lives! lol Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story sounds very exciting if they're running for their lives! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm a fan of anyone who can sing and write well (not necessarily the in the same person). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire talented writers and singers, too. Always neat when you come across someone who can do both well (like friends of mine.)

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of happy endings!
    Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love when a story has an ending that works out really well! Enjoy your weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  7. Heather, thank you so much for hosting me today! It's wonderful to be featured on one of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Shelley! Loved being able to share your guest post here today... :)

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of Harry Potter, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, and anything Joss Whedon. I've had to write characters that are fans of things I don't like at all. It's fun to do the research. Good luck, Shelley! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The research IS fun to do! Thank you, Christine!

      Delete
  9. That is definitely something we should consider when we're creating characters--especially young ones like ours. They probably spend a lot of time reading, watching TV, listening to music...and at that age you can get VERY passionate about that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I definitely agree. I remember being a fanatic about various things as a teen and preteen.

      Delete
  10. Big fan of books that pull me in so deeply that when I look up the dishes are still in the sink and bed unmade. Give me those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My characters are interested in things I'm not necessarily interested in either - ice fishing & snowshoeing in my latest wip for instance. Makes it fun to find out more about new things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love run-for-your-life stories, and it doesn't matter what age of reader the book is targeting. I'd read them all if I could. I'm glad I popped over to this blog in time to see this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS--I'm with you on not being a sports fan. If I ever create a character who is a sports fan, I'll have to get lots of info from my hubby, who watches football, basketball, baseball and hockey. Not me. Our dog doesn't like those channels either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boston Red Sox!!! And I'm always trying to find a way to have my characters be Sox fans, which isn't easy since I rarely set a story in Boston.

    My current MC loves running. Marathons and all that. I'm lucky to make it to the mailbox at the end of my driveway.

    ReplyDelete