Monday, March 2, 2015

Guest Post: Geek Art by Christine Rains

Christine Rains, author of Loose Corset and many other amazing books, is here today to talk about geeky art! She even gave me the chance to share my own thoughts on the subject. Enjoy!

CHRISTINE:

I'm a HUGE fan of Heather's awesome web comic, Echo Effect. If you haven't checked it out yet, go now! Well, maybe wait until after you've read this post.

Heather's tremendous talent inspired the topic of today's post. I've always appreciated art in all forms, and I especially love geek art. I wasn't certain how to define it. If you google “geek art” and “nerd art,” you'll get two different results. Geek art is full of pop culture references while nerd art is generally putting glasses on people, animals, or things.

The internet has given artists a way to showcase their art to many people in a way that could never be done before. Geek art has its own niche and it amazes me how gifted some artists are. Just browsing Deviant Art leaves me in awe. I had a hard time trying to decide who to mention here.

Way back in the early days of web comics, one of my geeky favorites was 8-Bit Theater. (Here's the link to the first comic in 2001.) This is a favorite amongst Final Fantasy fans. I still laugh when I read it. And look at how it evolved! Wow.

I adore fantasy and science-fiction themed art. I always wanted Michael Whelan as my personal cover artist. He's done some famous covers I'm sure you'd recognize. This is one of my favorite covers:


This last one isn't a specific artist, but a type that has gained a lot of popularity in the past few years. Steampunk art. I love the gears, gadgets, and costumes. I'm enthralled by the metallic colors, the grit, and the magic. Each piece of art takes me on an adventure in my imagination.

Now I really want to hear from Heather about what sort of geek art inspires her!

HEATHER:

Thanks, Christine! I agree, DeviantArt is great for discovering geeky art. Tumblr is also fun to browse for all things geeky. It’s how I stumbled upon gems like Pocket Princesses and Place of Princes, both of which are crossovers with Disney characters.

As someone who fangirls not only Disney, but all things horror, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Jeffrey Thomas’ twisted portrayal of these characters continues to be one of my favorite things.

Another of my favorite things? Archie Comics. They're great for appeasing your inner geek, especially when they churn out amazing things like this…


But why are you guys still reading this? Go check out Christine’s new book already!

***
Loose Corset
Christine Rains


Geek girl Morgan Reid has been to many conventions, but none that had her wishing it would never end.

Dressed as their characters from the online game Steampunk Quest, Morgan and her best friend meet the other players for the first time in real life. Morgan's attraction to the gorgeous Dean Bradley is immediate, making it difficult to breathe in her tight corset. Even after a few dice shattering orgasms, she doesn't believe this can be anything more than a con fling. But Dean is making her feel things she's only read about in books. Can Morgan let go of her cool-headed logic and allow herself to fall completely for the perfect geek guy?

About the author:

Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She's married to her best friend and fellow geek living in south-central Indiana. They have one son who is too smart for his parents' own good and loves to pretend he's Batman. Christine has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood, but make her a great Jeopardy player. When she's not reading or writing, she's going on adventures with her son or watching cheesy movies on Syfy Channel. She's a member of Untethered Realms and S.C.I.F.I. (South Central Indiana Fiction Interface). She has several short stories and novellas published. The Dice & Debauchery series is her first contemporary erotic romance.


Please visit her website and blog.

You can also find Christine on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Goodreads.

Purchase links: Amazon | B&N | Ellora's Cave | Kobo

a Rafflecopter giveaway

20 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me today, Heather! And I love Jeffrey Thomas' work. So wonderfully creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Christine! Loved seeing your thoughts on geeky art... :)

      Delete
  2. Whelan does some amazing artwork. That's why I've always dug fantasy and science fiction covers. The cover art is so detailed and rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I posted the book cover for that painting, but the actual print so much more stunning. (I didn't know whether I'd have permission to post the actual print, so I went with the cover instead!)

      Delete
  3. Artwork for horror and fantasy is so compelling. I really wish I had the talent for creating some of it.

    Congrats to Christine. Let's hear more about geeky art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! I wish I had the talent too. And the time!

      Delete
  4. Hey, two smart talented women in the same place today. Like Christine, I really enjoy the clever covers made for steampunk books. They really tempt you to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steampunk is visually stunning. And you can make it as quirky as you want without seeming ridiculous!

      Delete
  5. I love browsing Deviant Art as well. It's so amazing and inspirational.

    I've seen some of the crossover Disney princess art. It's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Christine! I hadn't really thought about geek art before, although I can see how it'd fit in with the sci-fi and fantasy stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie! Your covers for REBORN and PoF make for absolutely gorgeous fantasy art.

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Christine!

    By the way, I loved 8-Bit Theater back in the day! (Black Mage was always my fave.) I love geeky things in general, so your post was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Mage was my favorite too! Thank you, Shelley. :)

      Delete
  8. Geeky art is very cool. So nice to see Christine's new book featured here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was enjoying all the art but I've got to admit I had a big smile for Archie. I grew up on Archie comics. Wanna know how old I am? I remember when they cost a dime.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember when comics cost a quarter! And chocolate bars too. Mmm, chocolate.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations Christine! I love Deviant Art too, I wish I could afford hiring some of the awesome artists there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Black Sun Rising is one of my favorite books AND favorite covers!

    ReplyDelete