Saturday, February 7, 2015

Project in Pieces

Do any of you ever work on a project, thinking it’s going smoothly, only to poke that one spot and cause it to…well…


Yeah. That. Because this just happened to me, with the project I alluded to in my last post.

This project’s been in my head since 2003. When I decided to revamp it a few months ago, many characters were replaced; just as many plotlines were trashed. The very world building was also getting overhauled. But despite all these changes, things were falling into place! I even had character designs!

The few elements I wanted to keep intact from the original, though? They hinged on the old world building. I can’t go back to the old world building, so I’ve been scrambling to make these elements work with the new one. (And failing. Lots and lots of failing...)

Even though this project has fallen apart on me, I haven’t given up on it. It’s far too fun for that. But it might be ages before things truly click, so…yeah, I’m flailing. I wanted this to be my next webcomic, and if it can’t, I’m not sure which of my ideas should*, and that’s frustrating. (My muse probably thinks it’s hilarious, though…)

_________________________________________

*Okay, if anything, this dude's project would probably become my next webcomic, since there's not much left to develop. But it's soooo dark, and certain elements would be difficult to draw, and AAAAHHHHH.

16 comments:

  1. I totally understand. The WIP I'm working on now has gone through 3 different names and versions (in outline form) and they just never worked - until this time. Now everything's totally different but it came together. I'm sure your project will eventually work too. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so! This project has been with me for over a decade, so I can't help but feel impatient at this point, haha.

      Delete
  2. I know the feeling, but it says something about the idea that you keep on pushing on. I can't wait to see what it finally comes to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Who knows if it will see the light of day at this point, though, haha. (I'm hoping it will, at least, even if it takes another 10+ years...)

      Delete
  3. You're a smart cookie. Time will pass and everything will work out. Believe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've trashed enough projects in the past to know that everything working out is not always possible, haha. Will keep working on this one in the meantime, though!

      Delete
  4. Maybe take a little break from the idea. Sometimes focusing on something else will help you figure out the right pieces for the project you're stuck on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. It's too easy for my brain short-circuit otherwise, haha. Now I just need to somehow trick my inner perfectionist into taking a break... XD

      Delete
  5. Things like revamps and ideas of old take so much time. Don't fret,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best, but it's easy to get impatient, LOL.

      Delete
  6. Revamps are necessary but there comes a time you just have to roll it out. You're never "ready" as there is always something else to do. But don;t let that stop you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm a plotter, so I need to plan everything from beginning to end before working on a webcomic. Would hate to hit a roadblock while in the middle of posting strips online!

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of taking a break. Maybe everything will literally fall into place....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This project has been in my head for over a decade, so I'm kind of doubtful things will work out that easily, haha. I'm going to need a lot of brain power after taking that break!

      Delete
  8. Keep working on it, Heather, the best stories take long to brew!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, if that's true, then this story will be really, really great, since it's been in my head for over a decade already... XD

      Delete