Thursday, December 18, 2014

Comic Review: Archie #661 + #662

The holidays are never complete for me without some Christmassy Archie comics. As luck would have it, I was able to read two new issues themed around just that this year!


Issue #661 was written by Angelo DeCesare and penciled by Dan Parent. Santa’s depressed that only children—not teenagers—believe in him and considers retiring. Since Archie is one of those rare teens who does believe in him, it becomes his mission to prove that others do, too. Of the two issues, I enjoyed this one the most. It was just pure fun, and I especially liked the cute twist at the end!


Issue #662 was also written by Angelo DeCesare, with the pencils by Pat & Tim Kennedy and the cover by Dan Parent. Archie is getting on Mr. Lodge’s nerves, as usual, so he decides to win him over with a great Christmas gift. Unfortunately, this gift causes Mr. Lodge to believe Archie and Veronica are marrying. Although fun overall, this issue did leave a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. I’ve been protective of Mr. Lodge since I was a kid, so stories where Archie drives him to an early grave, no matter how inadvertently, tend to come across mean-spirited to me.


Anyone else been reading something fun for the holidays, comics or not?

14 comments:

  1. I used to read Archie all the time. Thanks for the memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never resist spreading my love for Archie comics! :)

      Delete
  2. I was always too busy reading Weird, Crypt Tales, and other horror comics to read Archie or the popular ones. I'm glad you clued me in on what I missed! Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love horror, but I don't think I ever saw any comics in that vein growing up, so I mainly read Archie, heh. Happy holidays to you as well! :)

      Delete
  3. oh I loved this. Brings back so many great memories. I adore Archie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one sounds really cute. I haven't read an Archie comic in years. Thanks for the reviews! Happy Holidays, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing these brings back all kinds of great memories. I still can smell the new comic and see where I curled into a chair to read it. Thanks for the nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read comics in years but in the holiday spirit, I've been watching holiday movies like mad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read an Archie's comic in years. Any comic at all for that matter, but they are so much fun that I wonder why not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those definitely look holiday-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like so much fun! I just finished reading "Stiff" by Mary Roach. It was really good. It was about human cadavers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fun. I used to read the Beano every week and always looked forward to the big Christmas issue. We should read more comics as adults!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments, everyone! Glad I'm not the only one who's read Archie at some point, or comics in general! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Christmas Archie volume I have, I should really add more to my collection. Issue #661 sounds especially good because I'm adult who still believes in Santa. ;)

    ReplyDelete