Friday, March 14, 2014

Weekly Webcomic Updates

Sorry for being MIA all week! I’m hoping to catch up with the blogosphere sometime soon. In the meantime, here are the latest Echo Effect comic strips!

Comic #141

Comic #142

In my previous post, a couple people asked about the reasoning behind my characters’ names. I figured I’d explain that here, in case anyone else was curious! (This contains major spoilers for Echo Effect, so stop reading if you’re not fully caught up yet!)

Coco is the reincarnation of Echo, Nicholas is the descendant of Narcissus, and Payne is Pan. As some of you have probably guessed by now, I wanted them all to have names similar to their Greek myth counterparts!

To get a little more convoluted…

Coco’s birth name is Corrine, which is Greek for “maiden.” As a kid, her stutter made it seem like she was trying to say “Coco” instead of her actual name. Her family thought this was adorable, causing “Coco” as a nickname to stick.

Pan needed an alias while masquerading as human, hence “Payne.” It’s Latin for “man from the country,” so while not the most inventive alias, it’s very fitting for the rustic god that he is.

Nicholas is Greek for “victorious people.” His dad named him after himself, thanks to the narcissism running on that side of the family. His dad, however, went by the nickname “Nicky.” I did this since it helps differentiate them, and also because Nicholas is so preppy, the full name just fits him better. Only Coco calls him “Nick,” which he doesn’t prefer, but he’s too nice to make her stop.

And now I’ll shut up before I start explaining their surnames and middle names, too…

If anyone else has any questions about Echo Effect, feel free to ask them in the comments! I can answer them in future Weekly Webcomic Update posts as a bonus for you guys…

16 comments:

  1. No need to do that. I like hearing about names! Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing about names, too--obviously!--but this post ended up being kind of long, so...I can't help but think I've bored people. XD

      Hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  2. You put a lot of thought into those names! It's very interesting...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to get pretty intense when plotting things for my projects... :P

      Delete
  3. I found it very interesting, too. I really enjoy this whole series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People enjoying it is my goal, so thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Interesting to hear the origin of names, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I was hoping it'd be interesting...

      Delete
  5. Poor Nicky is so miserable. Thanks for explaining the names. Maybe next time you'll explain the mythology (for those of us too lazy to google it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do! That could end up being more convoluted than the name explanations, though, since it's Greek mythology and all... XD

      Delete
  6. You put a lot of thought in naming your characters. I like the connection to Greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah, I tend to get a bit obsessive with things like this. Glad you like the Greek mythology connection! :)

      Delete
  7. Loved reading about your names. And I feel so bad for Nicholas!! Love confused Coco LOL. That's me on most days lately. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm like that sometimes, too, I must admit!

      Delete
  8. Hey, I just read the strips I had missed! Poor Nicholas. Someone has a photo of him? Oh, this isn't going to be pretty!
    The story is really interesting. I'm curious about the mystery woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're all caught up! Hope you enjoy what I have in store next for my characters... :)

      Delete