Sunday, November 10, 2013

Comic Review: Betty and Veronica #267 + #268

I’m incredibly behind on reviewing comics, so today, I’m going to review two of them!

 

Creators: Dan Parent (writer/cover artist); Jeff Shultz (artist)

Premise: Fairytale retellings! (“The Little Mermaid” in #267 and “Rumpelstiltskin” in #268.)

Cover Commentary: Dan Parent illustrated adorable covers for both these issues. I like how the mermaid tails form a heart in #267, and it’s fun to see Reggie featured in #268, since he often gets excluded from covers anymore. Gorgeous variants were made for these issues as well. (Click here to see the #267 variant by Fiona Staples, and here for the #268 variant by Stephanie Buscema!)

Overall Thoughts: The Betty and Veronica fairytale retellings continue to be a lot of fun, especially since these two are based on favorites of mine! Their take on “The Little Mermaid” in #267 has little to do with the Hans Christian Andersen tale, though, and is more of a Disney parody. This made #268 slightly more fun, since it was great to see how Archie Comics would skew that tale on their own, without any Disney influences.

One aspect I loved about these issues was how Veronica wasn’t reduced to a villain, and instead was a co-heroine with Betty. Cheryl Blossom was the villain for both (along with Reggie in #268), and I was ecstatic to see her featured, since she’s my favorite Archie-verse character. I also loved how both these issues concluded in regards to a certain love triangle. I won’t spoil how each issue ended, but if either were to become canon in the regular comics, I would feel very, very pleased.

Preview: Betty and Veronica #267

Preview: Betty and Veronica #268

10 comments:

  1. Seriously? Fairytale retellings have spilled over to comics? Whew! This is a bigger trend than I thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archie Comics have been doing retellings for all sorts of things for decades! ;)

      Delete
  2. There's a lot of fairytale retellings in middle grade books right now, so it's fun to hear about a comic version. I bet they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I especially loved Archie Comics' take on "Beauty and the Beast" and "Rapunzel" earlier this year. :)

      Delete
  3. Hehehe! Those are funny. Looks like a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Archie Comics have yet to disappoint me with their fairytale retellings. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, those look really cute! Lol. I love fairy tale retellings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I...obviously! I highly recommend these. Archie Comics even has a print collection now of all the fairytale retellings they've done this past year...

      Delete
  5. My all time favourite once upon a time. The last one I read (about 2 years ago) is when they got married. (I think there was two endings to it)

    ReplyDelete