Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Comic Review: Archie #648

Creators: Tom DeFalco (writer); Fernando Ruiz (artist)

Premise: A Thor parody, in which Archie is Thor and Reggie is Loki!

Cover Commentary: I adore this cover, and not just because it was illustrated by a favorite artist of mine. Reggie’s stunt is so classically Archie, despite the characters parodying gods from another franchise. A variant by Walter Simonson can be seen here.

Overall Thoughts: Not gonna lie…when I initially pre-ordered this, I thought Archie Comics was parodying Norse mythology. When I learned this was a parody of the Marvel franchise instead, I went, “FRICK.” I know nothing about that franchise. I’ve never even seen the movies, I’m that out of touch with pop-culture. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to appreciate this issue as a result.

Luckily, that wasn’t the case! There were probably some inside jokes I missed, but I can confidently say that this is an issue anyone can enjoy. Archie and Reggie’s rivalry heightened to godly proportions is pure comedic gold. Reggie especially shines in this issue, since he fills the role of a trickster god so perfectly. There are even a few shout-outs that longtime Archie fans will adore, including, but not limited to, Cosmo the Merry Martian. Anyone in the mood for fantasy and slapstick can’t go wrong with this issue!

34 comments:

  1. I do like the cover. I haven't read Archie since I was a kid. Brings back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people seem to stop reading Archie when they get older. I'm clearly not most people! XD

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a lot of fun! Love that cover too. :)

    And today is your turn to be drenched! *SPLAT* Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also used to read Archie comics, and I remember being' a kid and watching the Archie TV cartoon in the 60's. :)

    And add another drenched dose of dunkin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archie cartoons are a lot of fun! Archie's Weird Mysteries is the one from my childhood. :)

      Delete
  4. Here to drench you too, Heather! :D

    P.S. Don't enter me in the giveaway, Christine! Just here as I couldn't resist dunking Heather. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to read Archie comics. I haven't in ages. That looks like a great issue.

    And I'm drenching you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great issue! I was happily surprised by it...

      Delete
  6. What's a proper drenching without a parody or two:) Love the cover--although, I have to say, Archie doesn't hold a candle to Chris Hemsworth's Thor. I will now be using your term, “FRICK" whenever possible *love discovering new expletives*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I thought "frick" was something everyone knew. (Shows how much I know!) Have fun with it. ;)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read an Archie comic for a long time but of course, Reggie would be Loki. Are you drenched yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reggie is so perfect as Loki, it's surprising that Archie Comics didn't make that connection sooner!

      And yes, very drenched!

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen an Archie comic in years- I think I might have to get back into it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! They're so much fun. They can be pretty hard to find in stores, though, which is why I tend to order them online...

      Delete
  9. Hahahaha! Whew! Now that's classic. Archie and Marvel? Hey, here's your drenching of writerly attention/love. Don't drown, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not when you've got all this love to keep you afloat, eh?

      Delete
    2. Haha, yeah, it's been a pretty good floating device. :P

      Delete
  10. I love Archie. Just bought a comic book the other day when I was feeling my inner child.

    I'm here from Drench-A-Wench to show you some bloggy love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another Archie fan! And thanks for the bloggy love. :)

      Delete
  11. Loving Archie as Thor and Reggie as Loki - perfect mash-up!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely perfect--glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  12. I loved reading these comics as a kid, so much!

    BTW, here to drench you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archie Comics are the best comics for kids! And thanks for the drenching. :P

      Delete
  13. LOL, Reggie does seem to be the perfect Loki - he always gave me the willies when I was a kid.

    Meanwhile - SPLASH! Consider yourself drenched, Wench! (In other words, howdy from the gal who was drenched on Monday!) :-) Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reggie fits the role so well, it's as if he was always meant to be Loki! And thanks for the drenching--nice to meet you, too! :)

      Delete
  14. Haha certainly looks like a good parody ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good parody! Well, I'm guessing, since I know nothing about Marvel's Thor. The issue in general was a lot of fun, at least! ;)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. There needs to be more issues of Reggie as Loki. So priceless!

      Delete
  16. Ah! How cool that they did a spoof off Thor! Looks like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaps of fun! I was even tempted to re-read the issue after writing this review, heh...

      Delete