Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Comic Review: Afterlife With Archie #1

Creators: Robert Aguirre-Sacasa (writer); Francesco Francavilla (artist); Tim Seeley (variant cover artist)

Premise: Jughead begs Sabrina to revive his dead dog and ends up causing a zombie apocalypse.

Cover Commentary: I know I’m in the minority when I say this, but I feel Tim Seeley’s variant is the best cover released for this issue. (Here are the others for comparison: Regular Cover by Francesco Francavilla / Variant by Andrew Pepoy / Variant by Francesco Francavilla / Retailer Variant by Robert Hack / Second Printing Variant by Francesco Francavilla.) Hot Dog is the plot catalyst, after all, so it only makes sense for him to be displayed on the first issue. Bonus: This cover has amazing texture. It’s not the same thin and glossy material that other comics have, so you really get more bang for your buck with this series.

Overall Thoughts: All my life, I’ve loved horror as much as Archie Comics, so the two merging together should be perfection for me...yet it wasn't. While this issue was a solid series set-up, I can’t deny that I wasn’t blown away. I believe this is largely due to the fact that the gist of the issue was spoiled during marketing, so I had almost nothing to be surprised by. I’m also disappointed by the lack of comedy. I don’t expect this series to feature typical Archie humor, but dark humor would be excellent, especially since that never fails to make the darkest stories even darker. But again, this issue was a set-up, so I’m hoping there’ll be more chances for surprises and comedy in future releases.

One of the bright sides of this issue was the artwork. The limited color scheme, of which red and blue were most prominent, created an effectively eerie atmosphere. I still need to adjust to Francavilla’s version of the characters, but as someone who’s grown up with the DeCarlo style, I think that’s only natural. As far as writing goes, there’s pathos amongst the darkness, so it gratefully isn’t just horror for horror’s sake. If you’re a dog-lover like me, or at least a pet-owner, it will definitely pull at the heartstrings. While I wasn’t sold on this issue 100%, I have faith in Archie Comics and am curious to see how this darker venture of theirs will evolve.

8 comments:

  1. I like that cover too compared to the others. We don't need to see the zombies on the cover. Too bad it wasn't as good as you'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who likes that cover! I always feel like the only one who does...

      It's not easy for things to live up to the hype for me. Here's hoping that the second issue will wow me more!

      Delete
  2. You had me at "afterlife." I love that the hues were limited. That gives wicked cool chilling effect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I don't think I've ever seen a comic colored quite like this before, so that aspect impressed me right away!

      Delete
  3. Ooh! I like the color scheme. Definitely sets the mood--and kind of makes me want to eat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, what doesn't make you want to eat cheese? ;)

      Delete
  4. Why haven't I heard of this before? Looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the series is pretty new! It's easy for it to fly under the radar unless you're obsessively keeping up with Archie news...

      Delete