Monday, September 9, 2013

Comic Review: Kevin Keller #10

Creators: Dan Parent (writer/artist); Ryan Jampole (variant cover artist)

Premise: Controversy stirs up in Riverdale after Kevin kisses his boyfriend in public.

Cover Commentary: Even though I’m a huge fan of Dan Parent, who did the regular cover for this issue, the variant by Ryan Jampole was too adorable for me to pass up. I love how vibrant and full-of-energy it is!

Overall Thoughts: Issues like this make me proud to be an Archie Comics fan. This is the first time we see Kevin kiss his boyfriend, and much like the real world, this ends up drawing criticism from others. Thankfully, Archie Comics continue to portray homosexuality in a positive light, a stance that really should be displayed more in kid-friendly media. Equal parts hilarious and heartwarming, I dare you to not be smiling at the end of this issue…

8 comments:

  1. Hilarious and heartwarming sound like the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! Archie Comics are great at that kind of combo. :)

      Delete
  2. I admire them for taking on the issue. And the kiss seemed so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! It could be really easy for them to shy away from issues like this, so I'm glad to see they're not so far...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Very much so! I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on a copy. :)

      Delete