Monday, September 23, 2013

Comic Review: Archie #647

Creators: Steven Duvall Scott (writer); Dan Parent (artist); Jeff Shultz (variant cover artist)

Premise: Archie’s doppelganger, Andrew, makes them switch places, leaving Archie stranded in a universe full of familiar faces but unfamiliar personalities.

Cover Commentary: As fun as Dan Parent’s cover for this issue is, I couldn’t resist snatching up the variant by Jeff Shultz instead. It’s such a great Norman Rockwell shout-out, and it also manages to make me feel all nostalgic for classic Archie stories. This is easily one of the best comic book covers this year!

Overall Thoughts: This issue was heaps of fun—inevitable, since Archie’s stuck in a parallel dimension! I loved seeing how backwards the characters and their overall world could get. (For example, instead of the Archies singing “Sugar, Sugar,” it’s the Jugheads singing “Spice, Spice.”) Still, I wish we could have seen what Andrew was up to in Archie’s world. Betty and Veronica’s reaction to him alone would have been hilarious! Also, while some of the names for the doppelgangers were clever, a few did leave me rolling my eyes. (I mean, seriously: Vetty and Beronica? They could have at least had Ronnie be “Bonnie.”) It’s hinted at the end that Andrew may return, and I really hope that’s the case, since the page limit kept this premise from being explored to its full potential.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! That premise alone makes me want to read this one. Whew! Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely fun! I love having this issue in my collection. :)

      Delete
  2. Cool! I agree that name switch wasn't all that clever, but I would've liked to see what was going on in the other world too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those names really jarred me from the story, but the overall issue was fun, so I'd definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. Whoa. Jughead as a vegan . . . that's hilarious! I love that cover too, and the fact that it's reminiscent of Rockwell. Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only Jughead could meet his doppelganger self so he could be thoroughly horrified by his vegan ways! :P

      Delete
  4. Sounds fun! But I agree, they could have done better than Vetty and Beronica. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those name choices were just so...lazy. Calling Archie "Archina" in the gender-bender issue even seems better than Vetty and Beronica!

      Delete