Monday, August 5, 2013

Secrets of a Teenage Witch

Some of you may remember my wariness for Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch, the cartoon adaptation of one of my all-time favorite comic book characters. I’m trying to give this show the benefit of the doubt until an episode…y’know…airs, but after browsing this PDF from the MoonScoop website, I have even more reason to be wary now, ‘cause apparently the animators thought mullets were more fashionable than bobs for Sabrina:


What’s even worse is what they did to Harvey, and I’m not talking about his sudden need for glasses despite fifty years of perfect vision…


Oh no, what I’m talking about is Harvey being a Twilight fan who gets turned into a werewolf. (Not kidding. Read his profile if you don’t believe me.) Sabrina doesn’t even like him in this adaptation. She’s into some new dude named Jim, who’s apparently “a smart, athletic, handsome, self-reliant, and a surprisingly emotionally-mature teenage boy." (Ready to gag at the perfection yet?) He’s also—in MoonScoop’s words—the “‘Lois Lane’ to Sabrina’s ‘Superman.’"

Excuse me as I resist the urge to smash things…

12 comments:

  1. Boo! Why do they have to ruin perfectly good characters and stories? That's utterly ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that cartoon from a LONG time ago. Didn't know they're revamping it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and there's supposed to be a live-action movie adaptation as well, where Sabrina's a superhero and Salem's a love interest, but I have no idea if that's still in the works...

      Delete
  3. Sometimes revamping doesn't mean better. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't help but wonder what goes on in the heads of people who adapt things. They make the weirdest changes sometimes...

      Delete
  4. Why is it completely necessary that Sabrina wears a bob haircut? I personally don't care about keeping the same look. This is the year 2013, you know, not the 60s. What is worrying me is not the look but the storyline, which seems to rely heavily on J K Rowling's world and less comedy. I want a fun smart cartoon, not some Harry Potter ripoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said I think it's necessary for Sabrina to have a bob. For example, I love the cartoon from the '90s, and Sabrina's hair is long there. Her hair even became long in the modern comics. It's what they changed the hairstyle to that I find unsettling. I could be proven wrong once seeing these characters in motion, but I can't imagine anyone not being distracted by this new hairstyle of hers, at least at first. It's just plain odd-looking, no matter who the character is.

      Plus, if you read my post in full, you can see I made it clear that it wasn't her hair that I was most disturbed about. It's the changes they made to the characters and their dynamics that's truly making me wary. It's becoming too unrecognizable from the source material...

      Delete
  5. Smashing things is good. I like smashing things, or blowing them up.

    Fire. Yeah, yeah, fire! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! It really sounds like they're ruining the show before it even begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I'm still trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I have a feeling the only way I might find this enjoyable is if I make myself forget it's an adaptation of such a wonderful comic book franchise...

      Delete