Monday, July 15, 2013

Guest Post: “5 Tenants That Never Made It Onto the 13th Floor”

Christine Rains, the amazing author of the 13th Floor series, has a guest post here today in honor of her latest release, The Ghost. (I’ve already read it and can vouch that it’s just as fantastic as the rest of the series!) But enough babbling from me—check out Christine’s guest post below!

5 TENANTS THAT NEVER MADE IT ONTO THE 13TH FLOOR

When I came up with the concept for the 13th Floor series, I had a list of possible tenants. A few of the characters were already moving in before I could make the decision, but I had half the apartments still free. Here are five supernatural beings that almost became part of the 13th Floor cast.

  1. Fae. One of my original concepts was to have a city fae. He was in exile for disagreeing with the Queen and had developed a strong resistance to iron over the years. He didn't have a name, but I knew he was a green architect (designing building to fit into the environment). Oh boy, did he look good in a suit. His story wasn't powerful enough, though.

  1. Were-cat. I wasn't going to have a werewolf in my building, but Stefanie refused to let me ignore her story. It wouldn't have worked for a were-cat. She was a domestic cat, no tiger or jaguar. The story was leaning too close to a weird version of “Aristocats” for my liking. Stefanie was granted the apartment.

  1. Minotaur. Not a scary giant with a bull's head. A descendent of the original minotaur. Still with the strength and toughness, but with a human head and a very large sense of justice. Yet I already had Meira living in 1304. I don't think they would've gotten along well at all.

  1.  Doppelganger. Originally he was brought to life to serve the man he was copied from, but it turned out that he was a proper opposite. The man who made him was an evil supernatural (wizard?) assassin. So this doppelganger was good and on the run since he didn't want to be destroyed. Unfortunately, a tale of good vs. evil twins didn't seem to fit in with this series.

  1. Alien. I wanted to add some science-fiction to the thirteenth floor, but again, it didn't fit in with the concept of the series. I didn't want someone fighting demons in Carmine with lasers or spaceships flying around. Yet maybe some time in the future, I'll write something with a kick butt female version of Han Solo.

Title: The Ghost (The 13th Floor series, #6)
Author: Christine Rains
Genre: paranormal romance
Release date: July 13th, 2013

Blurb: 

Chiharo Black lives with six supernatural tenants in a haunted building's mysterious thirteenth floor. Of course, no one knows she's there except the cats. Being a ghost can be a bit frustrating and lonely, but it isn't as bad as her mother made it out to be.

Until another ghost intrudes on her territory. Jeremy Emerson wants revenge on the vampire that killed him and won't stop until he has it. To top it off, a nightmarish shade sneaks in and leeches the energy from the building's residents before setting its sights on Chiharo and the thirteenth floor. She can't decide which one is more frightening: the one wanting to eat her soul or the one who might win her heart.

Chiharo must convince Jeremy to stand with her against the hellish parasite. If they cannot work together, the greedy fiend will not only drain their energy but everything that supports the thirteenth floor's existence.

Purchase Links: 

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTWCOKK
B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-ghost-christine-rains/1115953323?ean=2940148274643
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/334212
Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-Ghost/book-xUa9ANvtKEGYvje-SJKpsA/page1.html?s=-JxiHTu-KU-7ivPU-npMvQ&r=2

Add to Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17928889-the-ghost

Author Bio: 

Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help nothing with motherhood, but make her a great Jeopardy player. When she's not writing or reading, she having adventures with her son or watching cheesy movies on Syfy Channel. She's a member of Untethered Realms and S.C.I.F.I. The 13th Floor series is her first self-published series. She has eight novellas and twenty-one short stories published.

Website: http://christinerains.net/
Blog: http://christinerains-writer.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorchristinerains
Twitter: https://twitter.com/@CRainsWriter
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4017568.Christine_Rains

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Heather! It's fun to think who could've lived on the 13th Floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Christine! I love having the chance to help promote your series. It's so interesting to wonder how different the 13th Floor would've been with other characters! :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think Elli and Kerr would've liked the were-cat either. LOL! It was fun learning about some tenants who didn't quite make the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! I think Elli would've smacked the were-cat down! *LOL* I still like my fae idea, but it needs a much more dramatic story idea before I do anything with him.

      Delete
  3. That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cool series! It's always interesting to learn some facts about the stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous guest post. Congrats to Christine for her new book. It sounds really spooky and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! It was a lot of fun to write.

      Delete
  6. Fun to read about these other characters. I love the were-cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I might do something with a were-cat later on in another story. I just didn't think her story was strong enough on its own. She'd be a cool secondary character, I think.

      Delete
  7. I missed this stop! An alien sounds cool, but you're right, it didn't fit. But with those characters, the series could go on forever.
    And nice to meet you, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex. I'll do some sci-fi later on. Maybe in the style of Syfy! Hehehe!

      Delete
  8. How interesting! Maybe they will still turn up in other books. I'm especially fascinated by the idea of doppelgangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nick. I was hesitant about the whole double thing, but now that someone is interested, hmmm....

      Delete
  9. This was a fun post. Spurred my imagination a bit listening to the also-rans from yours.

    ReplyDelete