Tuesday, June 25, 2013

(Art)work In Progress

Sometimes my art is too mean to fit neatly on a single sheet of paper. The current piece I’m working on has a mean streak so huge, it needed five sheets to be completed. All those sketches looked so random and disproportional to each other, I was starting to fear I wouldn’t be able to merge them properly in Photoshop. So, instead of inking them like I normally would, I scanned in the sketches as-is and merged those to see if it’d work.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think it will…


(See that girl tugging on that guy’s shirt? They were each drawn on separate sheets of paper. *dies*)

The layout of the final piece will look a bit different, of course, since I still need to ink the sketches and scan/merge those, but at least I have a guideline now, making me feel more confident about continuing this piece. I’m glad, since the ten-year anniversary of these characters first popping into my head is coming this October. Much like last year for their nine-year anniversary, I want to celebrate by making a group shot of them. There’s a good chance I’ll end up hating this piece during the coloring stage, but if nothing else, you guys got to see a sketch in celebration of their anniversary, so…yay?

12 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! That's amazing how you were able to take the drawings for different pages and make them look like they were drawn on one page. You do awesome work, Heather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping this wasn't a fluke and that I will be able to merge the inked versions well, too...

      Delete
  2. Catching anything "in progress" is always illuminating and interesting. Can't wait to see how it ends up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to share the finished piece sometime soon, although I suspect this will take a while to color!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love this! I agree with Cherie, it's amazing how you could make them look like they were all drawn on one page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very grateful about having Photoshop in cases like this, since I'd never be able to merge these drawings without it!

      Delete
  4. It's so interesting to get a glimpse into your process. :) I am so envious of your talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It's hard for me to think of myself as talented, so it's nice to hear. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! You have some serious talent! See, you started with a white canvas and made something amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed my canvas-unblanking. ;)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! You're so talented. What a great grasp on space you must have to be able to do them on separate sheets of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, not sure I really have a "great grasp" on anything. I tend to just wing this sort of thing! XD

      Delete