Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Trio of Anniversaries

I have three completely different anniversaries in need of celebrating right now. What kind of anniversaries, you ask? Well…

1) Becoming a diabetic. I was diagnosed with type-1 diabetes when I was only thirteen…which means, since the end of March, I’ve officially had this for a full decade. Crazy! My blood sugar had been over 1000 when I was diagnosed, so as you can imagine, I’m very happy to be around to type this right now! (120 is a good average to have, for all you non-diabetics out there, so…um…yeah.) Diabetes is a source of inspiration for me now, since it's made me determined to include characters with diseases and disabilities in all of my projects!

2) Adopting the cutest dog in the world. Okay, I might be biased, but you have to admit that Brandy is pretty cute:


My mom and I adopted her from a shelter four years ago. While other dogs were bouncing at the fronts of their cages, begging to be chosen, Brandy was so shy that she stayed curled up in the back of hers and only crawled up to us after some coaxing. She’s now completely spoiled and—thanks to me—can give you a high-five whenever you ask for one.

3) Developing Echo Effect. Yep, April’s the month my Echo Effect characters first popped into my head. They’ll officially be a year old on the 15th. (Such babies!) I had been thinking about the Narcissus and Echo tale, one of my favorites from Greek mythology, and how it’d be fun to adapt it somehow. Long story short…it led to the creation of this webcomic. I haven't looked back since!

So yeah, I’m celebrating. Feel free to join me!

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations Heather! On your health, your comic, and your super cute doggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love knowing a little more about your personal journey! Thanks so much for sharing. The diabetes, I'm sure, changed your life, but so did Brandy and your comic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of anniversaries! Not sure I'd like to celebrate the first one, though. That has to be tough. And yes, your dog is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diabetes can be a nuisance sometimes, but compared to other things, it's very livable. It's inspired me a lot over the years, which is why I think it's worth celebrating!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your now better health, your adorable dog, and your awesome comic! :) I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant. I learned a lot about eating right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Eating habits definitely change once diabetes is in the picture...

      Delete
  5. Definitely great anniversaries to celebrate (well, except maybe the first one)! I've been loving the Echo Effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're still enjoying Echo Effect! Maybe I'm crazy, but I think my diabetes is worth celebrating since it's inspired me so much over the years. ;)

      Delete
  6. I love your Echo Effect characters--and Brandy's kinda cute too. ;-) But sugar over 1,000??? You are indeed lucky to be typing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have no idea how I ever functioned with a blood sugar that high, especially knowing how ill I feel nowadays whenever my blood sugar spikes into just the 300s!

      Delete
  7. Wow. I really don't a lot about diabetes, so I'm glad you could fill me in a bit. It seems like you've adjusted to life very well with it. Good for you!

    Cute dog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should hope I've adjusted to diabetes by now, since I've already had it for a decade at this point!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on everything! That dog is seriously cute. But I am biased towards my rescue pet too, and happen to think my little fur baby is the cutest in the whole world, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think everyone is biased when it comes to their pets. ;)

      Delete
  9. OMG!! She is too cute. :D
    I love animals. You don't want to know how many cats we have! And two dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So many pets! The most I've ever had at once is two. (Right now it's just one.) That must be a handful...but an adorable handful, I'm guessing! ;)

      Delete