Sunday, March 24, 2013

And Then It Never Happened. The End!

When it comes to endings, I’m pretty flexible. Although I do have my preferences, as long as a writer executes it well, and it fits the story, I enjoy all kinds of endings. There are a few, however, that I have almost no tolerance for, since they never fail to make an entire story irrelevant. Yep, I’m talking about the ones that retcon everything by having the story be just a dream, or reversed with the help of something like time-travel.

Why do I bring this up now? Because I just invested a lot of time in a book series that utilized one of these endings. A long series. One that could have actually made this ending awesome if it explored how disturbing its possible repercussions were. But no, this was treated as something good, and was even brought about for reasons that seemed pretty flimsy and dangerous for the protagonist to rely on.

Needless to say, I can’t help but feel like the series did this to me once I reached the last couple of chapters:


What really sucks is that I had been loving this series. Now I don’t know if I can ever even re-read it, since what’s the point when none of the books technically happen the way they did anymore?

So, yeah. I'm upset. Can you tell?

(Die, Retcon Ending. Diiiie!!!)

17 comments:

  1. Yeah you sound pretty upset. Sorry about the disappointment. :(
    *hands you chocolate*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is disappointing. I don't enjoy those endings either. The other thing I don't enjoy is a first book in a series (when I didn't know a series was involved) and the whole first book was simply a set-up for the second. This happened to me recently, and I won't be reading the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like it when that happens, either. Makes me wish books like that still had series titles and were numbered. It'd be impossible to mistake them as standalones if they were!

      Delete
  3. I so dislike disappointing endings! Sorry you invested that much time into the series - but at least you enjoyed it until the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but I kinda wish I had started hating this series earlier, so I never would have wasted time reading the rest of the books!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry the ending was so rotten. I get the same way. Have you ever read Stephen King's Under the Dome? (They'll be putting it on TV soon.) Excellent book. So very King, and then blah. What the heck kind of ending was that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never read a single thing by Stephen King. (I know, I know--shame on me, especially since I'm such a huge fan of horror!)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I hate endings like that, and it sounds worse that it was a series to lead up to that type of ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! And this series was in the double-digits, too. That's a heck of a lot to retcon...

      Delete
  6. So sorry about the ending leaving you disappointed. It happens sometimes.

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but this one has been harder to shrug off since it was such a long series...

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I dislike disappointing endings. :(
    I do, however, love that movie you're using to express your feelings. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death Becomes Her is so awesome, I couldn't not gif it for this! ;)

      Delete
  8. There's nothing worse than having something you love spoiled right at the end. My advice? Wipe the ending from your memory and pretend it didn't happen. Or write your own ending. I had something similar happen with a favourite TV show which shall remain nameless (though in this case, the show carried on past its natural ending). I now refuse to acknowledge the existence of the last few seasons and like to pretend it ended with season five. It's much better that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I know how I'd change the ending of this book series, I really can't wipe it from my mind, since I know it wouldn't be canon. Something like that is easier to do for TV shows, 'cause if a series like that derails, it's usually because of a new showrunner or something, which allows me to think of the new episodes as glorified fanfic, haha. (BTW, if the show you're referring to is what I think it is, I am so with you on that. Season five is the final season in my head, too!)

      Delete
    2. That's true - with a book series, it's all been written by the same author, so you know it's their vision that's gone horribly wrong, whereas with a TV show you can always blame the new writers. And yes, I do believe we are both thinking of the same show... ; )

      Delete