Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sabrina, the Teenage...Superhero?!

All my life, I’ve been a fan of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, whether she’s in comics…


…sitcoms…

…or animation!


Sabrina will soon be returning to our screens—both as a live-action movie and an animated TV series—except now, for both adaptations, she’s not simply a teenage witch. She’s a superhero.


Excuse me as I face-palm.

I’m usually not the type to judge something before I have the chance to see it for myself. These two new adaptations could easily be pretty amazing. (Even though the animation for the TV series leaves much to be desired.) But…I still can’t help but be disappointed in the meantime. The slice-of-life aspect of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, despite the title character being a fantastical being, is what makes this franchise so appealing, in my opinion. The Sabrina I grew up with didn’t have a destiny to uphold or a world to save. She was just a normal girl with normal problems, of which her magical powers simultaneously helped exacerbate and solve.

Is there anything wrong with other fantasies dealing with a superhero theme? Heck no. I’ve loved many books, movies, and TV shows with that spin. But that’s the thing: there are many of them. It’s rare to find a fantasy that is as down-to-earth as Sabrina the Teenage Witch at its best. Does this franchise really need to be warped to fit something trendier? I don’t think so…but apparently Hollywood does.

What about the rest of you? What are your thoughts on a Sabrina who’s more superhero than witch?

14 comments:

  1. [Posting here, since LJ's not working]

    I'm disappointed to hear they're twisting Sabrina into a superhero, too. I never read her comics, but I remember LOVING the tv show when I was a kid. And I liked it for exactly the reasons you listed. Sometimes Hollywood gets it right with remakes, but I doubt this will be one of those occasions. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just...so mind-boggling to me. All the other adaptations I've seen of this franchise have had their differences, but still kept the essence of Sabrina in its core. I'm pretty doubtful that'll be happening with these two...sigh.

      Delete
  2. I hate to sound all negative, but almost every adaptation I've come across, usually falls flat. I'd try to approach it with an open mind though, just in case one of these days, they finally get it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most adaptations I've seen have fallen flat, too. But the thing is, with Sabrina, those adaptations have always been pretty good, which makes these two new ones seem all the more disappointing...

      Delete
  3. I groaned when I read that. Everyone seems to be hopping on the superhero bandwagon these days. I prefer Sabrina just as a "normal" teenager too.

    By the way, your comic is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there are so many superhero-themed things out anymore, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't mean that Sabrina should be a superhero, too.

      And aw, thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying my webcomic! :D

      Delete
  4. Yeah, a witch is more interesting than a superhero I think, which are kind of ten a penny. I doubt they'll bear much resemblance to the TV series... I really groaned at the animated version of Mr Bean they made. Might seem an odd comparison, but they kind of wrecked one of my favourite things when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two new adaptations will be based on the comic book character, not the sitcom. Still, it doesn't look like the new movie and cartoon will be anything like the comic, either, which is...disappointing, to say the least!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. I guess we'll have to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm waiting to see how this will turn out, too. Even though I'm wary of these adaptations, I must admit that I'm curious to see what they end up doing...

      Delete
  6. It's crazy, my friends were talking about this just last night. As with any adaptation, I worry that they'll screw it up. And you're right--turning her into a superhero almost certainly ruins what they had. I loved how she really was just a normal girl with normal problems, and her magic was just a part of that. It didn't dominate her.

    I'm curious about Salem though. He was always my favorite character. Have they changed him? Will he be included at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll be in both adaptations. Not sure what they'll do with him in the cartoon, but when it comes to the live-action movie, this is what Deadline had to report: While the tone of the movie will be edgier, they are keeping her talking black cat Salem, who here is a transformed prince creating unique love stories for Sabrina.

      Excuse me as I go WTF.

      Delete
  7. *sighs* I love how Sabrina is. She's quirky, magical, and pretty normal in her own way. Superhero seems like a stretch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Not everyone with magical powers has to be a superhero!

      Delete