Monday, January 14, 2013

My Best Reads from 2012

Some of you may remember me posting a list of everything I read in 2012. Well, it’s time for me to post about my best reads from that list! Even though pretty much everything I read last year was amazing, it’d be insane to describe why all of them were, so I made a list of the few that stood out from the rest. This only includes new reads, not re-reads, since duh, me being compelled to read something again should already be proof enough that it’s awesome!

Anyway, enough stalling. Here are my top reads from 2012, in alphabetical order:

1) Archie


I’ve been a fan of Archie Comics all my life, but they really stood out to me in 2012. One reason is because Giséle Lagacé, a webcomic artist I’ve adored for years, has been doing work for them as of late, including, but not limited to, the issue featured above, where everyone in Riverdale gets gender-bent—not even Josie and the Pussycats are exempt, except here they’re better known as Joey and the Junkyard Dogs:  

  
2) The Best of Samm Schwartz (Volumes 1 + 2)


Samm Schwartz is one of my favorite artists, so it’s been a real treat to collect hardcover volumes of his work. This is the artist who helped make Jughead as memorable as he is today! He not only penciled the stories assigned to him, but inked and lettered them, too, which often isn’t the case for artists in this business. I can’t help but study his work all the time to better improve my own comedic timing and facial expressions as an artist…


3) Echoes/Fingerprints #1-4 by Melinda Metz

 
This is a YA series about a girl who suddenly develops the ability to read people’s thoughts through touching their fingerprints. Not only is the paranormal angle more unique than many others in the genre right now, but it’s full of other things I adore, such as a strong family element, conspiracies, and a will they/won’t they romance that’s actually believable and easy to root for. I remember wanting to read Fingerprints when it first came out, but never got the chance to, so I jumped at the chance to pick up the rerelease, Echoes. As soon as I had a Kindle, I also couldn’t resist buying ebooks of the rest of the series, since it didn’t look like another omnibus edition would be released anytime soon!

4) Jinx


Anyone remember the Li’l Jinx series from Archie Comics?


Well, guess what? This franchise has gotten a long-overdue revival, and a pretty fascinating one, too, since the characters are now teenagers instead of kids. There’s a lot of heart in this graphic novel, and all the shout-outs to other franchises in the Archie-verse only make it more entertaining than it already is! Plus, it’s really fun to see these familiar personalities adjust and respond to the perils of high school…


5) Spike: Shadow Puppets


If you’re a fan of the “Smile Time” episode of Angel or Spike in general, then this comic is a must. No, this isn’t a canonical part of the Buffyverse like other comic continuations, but it’s so hilarious and cleverly written, you could easily be fooled into thinking that it is. It even pokes fun at the fact that this comic is technically fanfic by having Spike get attacked by Smile Time’s—wait for it—Official Cannon:


What about the rest of you? What were your favorite reads from 2012?

20 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I don't know which was my favorite from last year... I'd have to think about that! I feel like Cassandra Clare's stuff is still my fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of Cassandra Clare's books in my TBR pile. I really need to get around to reading it sometime, since so many people have praised her work!

      Delete
  2. Your love of Archie always makes me smile.

    My favorite reads of 2012, not surprisingly, are middle grades. Wonder, Three Times Lucky, and The One and Only Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will forever be a shameless Archie fan. ;)

      Not shocked at all that middle grade reads ended up being your favorite last year! I have a feeling the same will be true for 2013, too. ;)

      Delete
  3. this post made me nostalgic. I used to love reading ARchie comics way back in the day!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I always love finding others who've enjoyed Archie Comics at one point or another. :)

      Delete
  4. Echoes sounds like a book I'd like to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out sometime! I finally managed to finish this series the other day, under the original Fingerprints title, and it was amazing from start to finish.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Jinx is all grown up! Very cool. I had no idea about the Smile Time comic. I want! I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, especially of Spike and Angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about it, either, until I saw it on sale last year! I have a feeling you'd love this, since you say you're a Spike fan. He takes center stage for this comic, and oh, it's awesome!

      Delete
  6. I used to really enjoy reading Archie comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad to meet another person who was a fan of these comics at one point. :)

      Delete
  7. Okay, they have Spike: Shadow Puppets! Man, I loved that episode of Angel. That definitely sounds like a comic I would have a lot of fun reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a lot of fun. I remember laughing out loud the whole way through back when I read it!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read a graphic novel in forever. I remember a friend turned me on to one in high school (can't remember what the series was called right now) and I really liked it. I should check out some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! They're always so fun to read, at least to me...

      Delete
  9. Melinda Metz...didn't she write the Roswell High books (before they were made into the Roswell TV show)? I used to love those, so I may have to read "Echoes". My favourite read of last year was "Heist Society" by Ally Carter - I can't wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did! (I haven't read or seen that series yet, though.) Melinda Metz is a fantastic writer, so I think you'd enjoy Echoes/Fingerprints.

      I've heard of Ally Carter before, but have yet to read any of her books. Guess I should change that sometime!

      Delete
  10. I should probably dabble with reading some comics again. It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! They're a lot of fun to read, and they're even very helpful with writing, since comics are a great way to learn how to show, not tell...

      Delete