Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!


The above gif has always been my philosophy when it comes to Halloween. It’s one reason why I tried to do a bunch of Halloween-centric posts this month, although I ended up slacking off on that terribly. I have heaps of other traditions I like to do throughout October as well. What kinds of traditions, you ask? Well…

1) I give gifts. Any of you who saw this post knows very well how much I like to splurge when it comes to not just gifts this time of year, but gift-wrapping. My friend Sarah finally got her package in the mail, so anyone curious as to what kind of Halloween gifts I got her can check that out here!

2) I read spooky books. One re-read that’s a must for me this time of year is the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark trilogy, written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell. I mean, seriously, who can look at pictures like these and not think of Halloween?! Another series I would have loved to re-read, but just didn’t have the time for, is The Unseen quartet by Richie Tankersley Cusick. This series is genuinely creepy—in part because the villain, unlike so many others in YA anymore, is a genuine creeper. Just look at how they decided to depict the villain on the original cover for book 2:

Photobucket

Anyone who doesn’t think this guy is creepy enough to read about for Halloween is clearly crazy!

3) I watch movies. This includes horror in general if I have the time, but given how elusive time can be anymore, I usually have to narrow the list down to movies that simply involve Halloween in some way. Here are a few favorites:

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

4) I make art…often of my characters in costumes. This year, I managed to make this picture as well as this comic, based on my Cruel Melody characters. I even drew this for my friend Sarah, which features her character Bryce, my character Arden, and her character Tilian:

Photobucket

5) I listen to Halloween music. I have quite a few faves when it comes to Halloween music—Elvira is one artist who definitely gets a lot of listens—but my most favorite is easily Bette Midler's cover of “I Put a Spell on You” from the best Halloween movie ever, Hocus Pocus:


What about the rest of you? What do you like to do to help celebrate Halloween?

4 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween! Love this post - so much Halloween goodness!

    Where to begin? Okay, you already know how much I love Hocus Pocus, but I also love Idle Hands too. A character in Idle Hands actually inspired one of my MCs (I have a whole post I'm going to write about that soon)! Such a fun movie!

    And I have a confession to make - I thought Ted looked really hot dressed up as Jack Sparrow in Reaper, but I never told anyone because...well, because it was Ted! And just how cute did Sam look wearing the pumpkin outfit? Awww! I love Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another Idle Hands fan! I wish there'd be more comedic horror movies like it; there's not enough of 'em, IMO. So cool how one of the characters inspired a main character of yours--that'll be a fun post to read in the future!

      And haha, yeah, Ted totally knows how to rock a Halloween costume. Ditto all the awwing when it comes to Sam dressed as a pumpkin. :P

      Delete
  2. Happy Halloween! I really love reading scary books and watching horror movies during October to gear up for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary books and movies are definitely a great way to celebrate Halloween. I did heaps of both today! :D

      Delete