Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Neighbors

The NeighborsAs a fan of other alien-based sitcoms such as 3rd Rock from the Sun and Out of This World, I couldn’t resist checking out ABC’s new show The Neighbors. I must say, I liked it. I can’t quite say I love it yet, since the pilot did have its rough spots. For instance, I felt like they tried too hard sometimes with the whole “Look how absurd they are because they’re aliens! Isn’t this funny?!” schtick; it would’ve been nice to have a little more subtlety here and there to balance the more outrageous parts out. The acting could be hit-or-miss for me as well, especially with one of the child actors, but as a whole, it was suitable, and even strong, so I could easily get over that.

I was also very disappointed to see that they revealed the aliens’ appearance so early. There’s a far greater appeal in not knowing to me, at least for a little while. Not only would that have given more motivation for viewers to watch future episodes, since they’d be wondering if this night will be the night we finally learn it (if ever), but the utter mystery of it can sometimes be more satisfying. (Anyone who watches horror knows full well that the imagination can come up with monsters creepier than what is often later revealed on-screen.) How I Met Your Mother has no problem teasing fans for 7+ seasons about the identity of the mother, so I see no reason why The Neighbors couldn’t have pulled off something similar with the appearance of their aliens.

Regardless of downsides like this, however, The Neighbors managed to make me laugh quite a bit during the pilot, which is exactly what a sitcom is supposed to do. I can’t help but be ecstatic to once again see a sitcom on my TV screen with a sci-fi bent like this, ‘cause not only is it just plain fun, but pretty unheard of anymore, which makes it all the more refreshing to me. This show has promise, so I, for one, am eager to check out future episodes to see exactly how much The Neighbors will grow and improve!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this one (but you know how out of touch I am with most TV). Laughing at a sitcom is always a good sign, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have known about this show, either, were it not for the internet. I didn't really watch much TV this summer, so many of the new shows snuck up on me!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to give this a try when it reaches the UK. I hardly watch any sitcoms and I need to watch more things that make me laugh. That's why I miss Friends - it always made me smile. I've been watching New Girl, because I love Zooey Deschanel, but I've found it all a bit OTT at times. Love the theme song though - it's short, but infuriatingly catchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though only one episode has aired so far, I definitely recommend checking out The Neighbors! It's really fun for a sitcom, and like you said, it never hurts to watch more things that make you laugh. ;)

      Delete