Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Last Writes: February 2012



I didn’t accomplish any of the goals I said I would in February. On top of that, I only managed to squeeze in 2418 words total this month, most of which were for CM. (What happened to the days when I could easily churn out 20K a month?! Sigh.) Since CM was the main project I worked on, here’s the current word count for it:

37296 / 60000 (62.16%)

Some of you may remember that my previous word count goal for this book was 80K. I had only estimated that high because my previous book neared 90K. If the first in a trilogy was able to rack up such insanely high numbers, what kind of word count would a standalone eventually get? Luckily, it doesn’t seem like CM will be quite as lengthy anymore, so now I’m aiming for a much saner 60K. Let’s hope my characters don’t suddenly decide to mess with me and turn this book into a monstrous 100K+ or something....

7 comments:

  1. It looks like your best years were the early years. It's the same with me too. I used to be able to sit down and smash out 10,000 words in a day and now (mostly because I handwrite) I manage a paragraph a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had started writing seriously in 2002, but only decided to keep track of how much I wrote in 2007, so I can't help but wonder how much I actually wrote before then, heh.

      I've seen a few other writers say that they used to write more than they do now, so at least we're not the only ones!

      Delete
    2. You've written more than I ever have. My writing has slowed so much in the past two years I've not finished anything. not even a short story.

      Very true! as you get older, life just seems to get in the way :(

      Delete
  2. It's so cliche, but I'm a firm believer that quality matters over quantity. If you LIKE what you've written, that is of far more value than how much you've written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about quality over quantity, but I still can't help but feel disheartened over how much my productivity has dipped throughout the years.....

      Delete
  3. You'll get back in there. Just keep going. And have some more chocolate!! :D

    ReplyDelete