Sunday, January 15, 2012

Job-Hunting

I’ve spent the gist of my day searching for potential jobs. I have neither experience nor a degree, so…I’m pretty pessimistic about the turnout, especially since my last attempt at this resulted not in a job, but in me feeling mentally deficient by a job interviewer. (Apparently, it’s unheard of for an 18-year-old to have never had a job before. I’m 22 now….)

Fast food is probably my future…

…but I’m still doing my best to avoid that as a first job. ‘Cause…um…fast food. I don’t even like eating it most of the time. Why would I want to work around it?!

I had finally managed to find something available nearby that I could apply to, and I was almost done with the application, thinking, “Yeah! I probably won't get hired, but finding something I can apply to at all is a step in the right direction!”

Then I came across the section asking for references. Because it was an online application, it’d be impossible for me to turn it in until I listed at least three references in the starred spaces, and they could not be family members.

I know only two—two!—people I could list as references.

They’re my mom and sister.

I suck at life.

That, or job-hunting is completely discriminate against the socially allergic.

Yeah, let’s go with that….

Anyway, enough blog-sponsored procrastination. It’s time for me to get back to online job-hunting before I do the old-school, in-person kind later this week….

7 comments:

  1. ahah! Socially allergic? I'm the same.

    I'm lucky in that I have a HUGE family of people who know people who would be happy enough to 'know' me for a while!

    I can't get a job either. I'm not "what we're looking for right now". In other terms: I'm a student who'll need lots of breaks and time off for exams and stuff with a loaded schedule! argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that sucks! My last attempt at job-hunting had been when I was in college, and I remember how frowned upon that was. Employers want you to have a super-flexible schedule so you can work when they want you to at a drop of a hat, which school doesn't allow....

      Good luck job-hunting yourself! It definitely isn't easy....

      Delete
    2. I know! And they don't even pay you enough for you to bunk college lessons. I told a potential employer I could work Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. She asked me if I could also do Tuesdays and Wednesdays! I told her than would be more than 25 hours and she actually said "But there's nothing wrong with hard work is there?"

      I thought I was going to punch her!!!

      Thanks. I can't seem to find any open positions though.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it's really hard to find open positions here, too. I still have more job-hunting to do, though, so maybe I'll have more luck eventually....

      And wow at that one employer. Sure, there's nothing wrong with hard work, but there is such a thing as too much work!

      Delete
    4. Good luck! It's definitely needed in these hard times.

      I think she was either just a very delusional woman or plain insane. She wasn't very nice either. She just kept telling me horrible stuff about working there.

      Delete
    5. Telling you horrible stuff about working there? Wow. Definitely crazy! That's a surefire way to turn off potential employees....

      And thanks for the luck! :)

      Delete
    6. I know. They've got another position open apparently but I don't want to apply.

      Delete