Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Breathe Underwater

My current WIP, Cruel Melody, is heavily inspired by music. A song is the reason why the characters suddenly took residence in my brain years ago, and another song is why it managed to flesh out enough to become my current WIP in the first place. I could easily write a whole post about that, but until then, I'm blogging about the latest song to be added to its playlist: "Breathe Underwater" by Placebo!




Although I've been a Placebo fan for years, I had never heard this song till tonight, and the moment I did, I knew it was for CM, it suits my protagonist so well! Plus, the water imagery is too perfect to resist, since my book revolves around a malicious breed of shapeshifting water creatures called nixes....

Any other writers inspired by music like me? What songs have made you think of your stories lately? Sound off in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. I love it when I find a song that fits my writing well!

    Within Temptation's "Sinead" and "Iron" reminds me of some old characters but I haven't recently found anything for my writing!

    This song is really catchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Within Temptation! Some of their songs have inspired me in the past, too. Their music has a very epic feel....

      Delete
    2. I know! I especially love their live performances!

      Delete
    3. I've never seen them perform live before. Looks like I'll have to spend some time at YouTube one of these days! ;)

      Delete
    4. That's what I do. They've come to the UK a few times but I'm always too busy :( If they ever come to Glastonbury though, I think Ill be going!

      Delete
  2. Intriguing, because, no, music does not play a part in my writing other than when it fits into scenes I'm writing--but then I write middle grade. I would love the backstory on the song that inspired your characters and the other one that fleshed out the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit weird and find it impossible to work on a book until it has at least one song on its playlist, haha.

      Funny how you mentioned MG, because I work on books in that genre sometimes and usually don't find myself listening to "regular" music for that. I tend to go for more instrumental stuff to get myself writing MG!

      I'll have to start working on a post about the songs that initially helped bring my current WIP to life. :)

      Delete