Saturday, December 31, 2011

Books Read in 2011

I can’t believe a full year has passed already. But since it has passed…time for me to reveal my list of books read in 2011! Anything in bold italic means it was a reread, not something new I read this year. Along with books and comics/manga, I also included a few digest magazines I read, since…well, they’re longer than some honest-to-goodness graphic novels, so why not?


1) 101 Questions About Santa Claus by Bob Litak
2) Abandon by Meg Cabot
3) Absolute Boyfriend #1 by Yuu Watase
4) Absolute Boyfriend #2 by Yuu Watase
5) Absolute Boyfriend #3 by Yuu Watase
6) Absolute Boyfriend #4 by Yuu Watase
7) Absolute Boyfriend #5 by Yuu Watase
8) Absolute Boyfriend #6 by Yuu Watase
9) All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
10) Archie & Friends All-Stars: Christmas Stocking
11) Archie’s Classic Christmas Stories (Volume 1)
12) Archie’s Holiday Fun Digest Magazine #4
13) Archie’s Holiday Fun Digest Magazine #5
14) Archie’s Holiday Fun Digest Magazine #7

15) Archie’s Weird Mysteries
16) The Art of Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino
17) Bad Kitty: Catnipped by Michele Jaffe; art by Lince
18) Black Bird #1 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
19) Black Bird #2 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
20) Black Bird #3 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
21) Black Bird #4 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
22) Black Bird #5 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
23) Black Bird #6 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
24) Black Bird #7 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
25) Black Bird #8 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
26) Black Bird #9 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
27) Black Bird #10 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
28) Black Bird #11 by Kanoko Sakurakoji
29) Chronicles of Nick #1: Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon
30) Chronicles of Nick #2: Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon
31) Daughters of the Moon #4: The Secret Scroll by Lynne Ewing
32) Daughters of the Moon #13: The Final Eclipse by Lynne Ewing

33) Doing It by Melvin Burgess
34) Drive-By by Lynne Ewing
35) Dull Boy by Sarah Cross
36) Eerie Cuties #1 by Gisèle Lagacé and David Lumsdon
37) Eerie Cuties: The Comic Strip Collection by Gisèle Lagacé and David Lumsdon
38) Entice by Carrie Jones
39) Godless by Pete Hautman
40) Happyface by Stephen Emond
41) Haunted Lily: The Nightmare Ball by Sidney Fox
42) Intertwined by Gena Showalter
43) Kitty Goes to War by Carrie Vaughn
44) The Mall by Richie Tankersley Cusick
45) The Mammoth Book of Best New Manga #2, edited by ILYA
46) Mirror, Mirror by D. E. Athkins
47) More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz; illustrated by Stephen Gammell
48) Morpheus Road #1: The Light by D. J. MacHale
49) Night Pleasures (A Dark-Hunter Novel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
50) Pantheon High #2: Hades and Homecoming, written by Paul Benjamin; art by Steven and Megumi Cummings
51) Party Girl by Lynne Ewing
52) Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon #1 by Naoko Takeuchi
53) The Ripper by D. E. Athkins
54) Save the Last Dance for Me by Dyan Sheldon
55) Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz; illustrated by Stephen Gammell
56) Scream Street #1: Fang of the Vampire by Tommy Donbavand
57) The Secret Circle #1: The Initiation by L. J. Smith
58) The Secret Circle #2: The Captive by L. J. Smith
59) The Secret Circle #3: The Power by L. J. Smith
60) Secret Santa by D. E. Athkins
61) Sons of the Dark #1: Barbarian by Lynne Ewing
62) Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton
63) The Squad #2: Killer Spirit by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
64) Strange: True Stories of the Mysterious and Bizarre by Colin Wilson and Damon Wilson
65) Sucks to be Me by Kimberly Pauley
66) Trick or Treat by Richie Tankersley Cusick
67) Vampire Knight #1 by Matsuri Hino
68) Vampire Knight #12 by Matsuri Hino
69) Vampire Knight #13 by Matsuri Hino
70) Vampire Knight: Official Fanbook by Matsuri Hino
71) The Vampire’s Promise by Caroline B. Cooney
72) Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum

I read about as much as I did last year, it seems. Perhaps I should aim for 100 books in 2012?! Hmmm....

I am now condensing this list to just thirteen books/series so I can showcase all the ones I consider must-reads, although there are other books above I’d highly recommend, too—it’s so hard narrowing the best down! (I’m not including rereads, because…well…the fact that I reread them at all should already indicate how awesome they are!) That’s right, I said thirteen, not ten. I’m rebellious like that!

Bonus: I’m including snippets from the actual books. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I hardly ever read summaries on the backs of books when deciding what to read. (The most I do is skim them for “key words.”) Instead, I always, always check out snippets from the inside in order to make that decision, so…enjoy!

Top 13 Books/Series Read in 2011
(listed in alphabetical order)

1) Absolute Boyfriend by Yuu Watase
(This series made me cry at the end. I’M NOT ASHAMED.)
*Click here for my full review!*



Riiko (after seeing Naked Night): "Eek! Cover yourself!!"
Night: "Like this?" *covers face*
Riiko: "Not your face!! Just turn around! I'll find you some clothes!!"


2) Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon

 

None of them would be here if their parents weren’t loaded. He was the scholarship kid. They probably couldn’t have even spelled their names right on the exam he’d aced to get in.

That was what mattered most. He’d much rather have brains than money.

Though right now, a rocket launcher might be nice too.


3) Drive-By by Lynne Ewing
(This book made me cry, too. STILL NOT ASHAMED.)
*Click here for my full review!*



“A knight has to slay a dragon for me.”

“Do you know what slay means, Mina?”

She looked at me in a way that meant she didn’t.

“It means kill,” I said.

She thought for a minute. “I’ll ask my knight to put the dragon in a zoo then.”


4) Dull Boy by Sarah Cross


(BEST. COVER. EVER.)

Darla does something weird then—I mean weird even for her. She throws her arms around Jacques in this intense embrace, hands roaming across his back before she pulls away. I have to blink a few times to make sure I’m not delirious. That was like watching my dad French-kiss a raccoon—I feel violated on so many levels.

5) Eerie Cuties by Gisèle Lagacé and David Lumsdon
(These are print editions of a webcomic. Click here to read from the beginning!)

 



6) Entice by Carrie Jones
*Click here for my interview with the author!*



“Are you okay?”

“I am afraid of flying,” he admits, fidgeting in his seat. He keeps crossing and uncrossing his legs like a little antsy kid.

“Um, you do know you fly all the time.”

“But that is without the airplane.”


7) Happyface by Stephen Emond
*Click here for my full review!*



Last period I have English with Mr. Molly. Molly is a tour T-shirt from a crappy band, a reminder of where you’ve been that’s better left in the closet. I had Mr. Molly a year ago, before I moved. I took his class, as did my brother and probably my father and grandfather and maybe my great-great-grandfather as well.

8) Morpheus Road #1: The Light by D. J. MacHale
(This book made me cry during a road trip. Again, not ashamed!)



Standing alone, silently staring at me, was Gravedigger. My creation. In the flesh. On his shoulder was his gleaming silver pick, his bony white fingers wrapped around the handle.

9) Pantheon High #2: Hades and Homecoming, written by Paul Benjamin; art by Steven and Megumi Cummings



*in the Norse underwolrd*
Hel: "Shall we toast the revival of the students?"
Grace: "They regained consciousness?!"
Griffin: *sips drink, only to spit it back out* "PFFFFT!!"
Hel: "Oh, dear, where is my head? The dead are only served goat urine..."
Griffin: "Ecchh...c-can you just point us at the world river?"


10) Party Girl by Lynne Ewing



“Don’t look at the earth for the center of life,” he said. “If you look up at the night and see what’s above you, a lot of the other things that bother you here aren’t worth the fuss.”

11) Save the Last Dance for Me by Dyan Sheldon



“Do you have nothing else to do but eavesdrop on my life?”

“I know it’s about as exciting as watching water freeze, but I’ve been dead a long time, Angel. Almost anything is going to be a little interesting.”


12) Sucks to be Me by Kimberly Pauley
*Click here to see my fangirlism over this book!*

Photobucket

My parents are vampires. Some people might think that sounds cool, but I’m not talking about those romanticized bloodsuckers, like in novels where everybody walks around in ruffled white shirts and can quote poetry. I don’t know where people get that stuff. Nothing could be further from the truth. My dad couldn’t quote a nursery rhyme if somebody paid him. He likes to watch football and CNN. He wouldn’t know (or care) who Stephenie Meyer was if she came up and bit him.

13) Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino

   

(Anything I’d post from volumes #12-13 would probably be spoilery, being so far into the series and all, so instead, here’s my favorite image from the art book!)



(Yes, I count the art book as something read. While image-heavy, it did have words, too, so la-la-la.)

What about the rest of you? What books did you read in 2011? Ever read any of the ones I did? Tempted to check some of them out now because of this list…? Sound off in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment